Clan Houses

Khoo Kongsi

khoo kongsi house Penang

Khoo Kongsi or Khoo Clan House

The Kongsi house was built by the Khoo clan who emigrated from South China in the 17th century.   The clansmen converted the original house belonging to a British trading concern to a place for ancestral and deity worship, as well as for functions.

The kongsi house, originally called the ‘Leong San Tong, (Dragon Mountain Hall) was razed to the ground in 1894, but rebuilding of the Khoo Kongsi began in 1902 and was completed in 1906.   Though damaged during the Japanese raid of George Town during World War II, a massive reconstruction project took place in 1958.   The present site consists of the Clan house that faces a square flanked by an opera stage, an administrative block, some offices and rows of ‘pre-war’ dwellings/ shop-houses.

The Khoo clan is one of the richest in Northern Peninsular Malaysia.   This clan house, considered one of the grandest in Southeast Asia is located in the labyrinth of shop-houses in the centre of George Town.    The architecture of the clan house (Leong San Tong) reflects the styles of temples in Southern Fujian, with intrinsic stone and wooden carvings; the style portraying the artistry of Chinese craftsmanship of the period.   Sculptured works are all over from the roof to the beams and columns, rich in meaning.   The interior of the house are also lined with murals depicting Chinese gods, folk lore and believes.   There is a museum located within the clan house.  


Three entrances to the courtyard – From Lebuh Cannon, Lebuh Beach or Lebuh Armenian, George Town, Penang Island    The clansmen converted the original house belonging to a British trading concern to a place for ancestral and deity worship, as well as for functions.   The kongsi house, originally called the ‘Leong San Tong, (Dragon Mountain Hall) was razed to the ground in 1894, but rebuilding of the Khoo Kongsi began in 1902 and was completed in 1906.   Though damaged during the Japanese raid of George Town during World War II, a massive reconstruction project took place in 1958.   The present site consists of the Clan house that faces a square flanked by an opera stage, an administrative block, some offices and rows of ‘pre-war’ dwellings/ shop-houses.

 

The Khoo clan is one of the richest in Northern Peninsular Malaysia.   This clan house, considered one of the grandest in Southeast Asia is located in the labyrinth of shop-houses in the centre of George Town.    The architecture of the clan house (Leong San Tong) reflects the styles of temples in Southern Fujian, with intrinsic stone and wooden carvings; the style portraying the artistry of Chinese craftsmanship of the period.   Sculptured works are all over from the roof to the beams and columns, rich in meaning.   The interior of the house are also lined with murals depicting Chinese gods, folk lore and believes.   There is a museum located within the clan house.

 

Location and Opening hours

  • 9:00am to 5:00pm, Mon.-Fri.; 9:00am to 1:00pm, Sat.
  • Entrance fee on admission.
  • Three entrances to the courtyard – From Lebuh Cannon, Lebuh Beach or Lebuh Armenian, George Town, Penang Island

Other Articles on Chinese Clan Houses

Source of Reference:

 

Additional information