Chinese Chu Char Restaurants
Chu Char / Choo Char (in local Hokkien dialect, means cook and fry) restaurents are Chinese restaurents that specializes serves a variety of dishes, freshly cooked when ordered. Dishes are mainly stir-fried or steamed and cooked in Chinese Malaysian style. In Penang you can get a range of Chinese or spicy Nyonya or Thai dishes
- Tek Seng Restaurant; Location: 18-20 Lebuh Carnarvon, George Town, Opening Hours: Lunch and Dinner (closes on Tuesdays)
- Soon Lai Restaurent; Location, 15, Lintang Batu, Green Lane (out of city centre, near Batu Lancang Market), Opening hrs: Lunch and Dinner
- Goh Swee Kee, Jalan Sri Bahari, Geoege Town.
- De Tai Tong Cafe (specialzes in Dim Sum); Location: 45, Lebuh Cintra, Opening hrs: Lunch and Dinner (lunch only on Sundays)
- Siang Ping Seafood; Location: 598, GF-02, Jalan Tanjung Bungah, Opening Hrs: Lunch and Dinner (Closes on Mondays)
- Chuan Bee Cafe (traditional cafe); Location: 64 Lebuh China Opening Hours: Lunch and Dinner, closes on Sunday
- Penang Song River Cafe; 65, Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Opening hrs: Morning Lunch and Dinner, closes alternate Tuesdays
- Sin Kheng Aun; Location: 2, Lorong Chulia; Opening Hrs: Lunch and early Dinner
... and many more
Enjoy food fest in Penang this April 2017
Street Food Festival
- 15th April Lebuh Pantai (5pm - 11pm)
Taste of Penang
- 15 - 30 April 2017 22 April Jalan Kelawi (5pm -11pm)
Fringe Food Festival
- 28-30th Gurney Paragon Mall (10am-10m)
Unique Heritage Hotels in Penang
There are many hotels in George Town offering affordable accommodations. Some are modern high-rise while others offer visitors a unique traditional or old Penang experience. For those who want a feeling of old Penang, or have a feel of 'British Colonial' Penang, checkout some of these heritage hotels.
Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, 3* This Chinese house with Straits Settlement designs dates back to the 1880s and is a winner of the UNESCO Asia Pacific Award in 2000 for conservation. Check out and compare rates for Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion here
Eastern & Oriental Hotel (E&O), 5* Fondly known as E&O, this grand hotel has a seafront location in the city. The brainchild of the Armenian Sarkies brothers, who were also associated with the Singapore Raffles Hotel, this historic hotel with a colonial flavour dates back to 1885. In the old days this the place where the rich and famous wine and dine too.
Compare E&O Hotel lowest rates from multiple sites and book online here.
Seven Terraces, George Town - "....Seven Terraces, a boutique hotel with the relaxed ambience of an island resort." – The Wall Street Journal
SEVEN TERRACES – this newly opened small private hotel of only 18 suites is by the award-winning hoteliers Karl Steinberg and Christopher Ong. (Winners of the 2007 UNESCO Award of Distinction for heritage conservation and regular Conde Naste Hot List nominees).
Check and compare Hotel Rates of Seven Terraces in GeorgeTown
Hutton Lodge Experience unique colonial-style living in a restored guesthouse located in the heart of the George Town. At 17, Jalan Hutton, just off Penang Road, it is ideally located within walking distance of George Town's many tourist attractions.
Compare hotel rates of Hutton Lodge
Penang's first bike sharing programme will be launched on 17th of December 2017.
This is a new way to sightseeing around Georgetown, Penang. Anyone can pick up a bike from any of the 25 stations and return it to another station.
You need to signup via their website or LinkBike apps to purchase credit or package.
From LinkBike website:
LinkBike is taking commuting to a new level.
PENANG is one step closer to be a liveable and international city. ........Apart from building a 39.3 KM dedicated bicycle lane from Straits Quay to Penang International Airport, now the city will be linked with bicycle lanes and commuters have the convenience of BSS.
LinkBike BSS operated by FAST RENT BIKE (PG) Sdn. Bhd. is an initiative by Penang Island City Council (MBPP) to make Penang an international city like Melbourne, Amsterdam, Tokyo and others. MBPP is working closely with the operator to set up 25 strategic locations in George Town and also Queensbay and Straits Quay.
...... Anyone can pick up a bike from any of the 25 stations and return it to another station. It is as simple as a scan on the QR Code to release the bicycle.........." - Source: www.linkbike.my
Proposed Linkbike Stations
Kimberly Street Food
You can find some of the best authentic Penang food at Kimberly Street (Lebuh Kimberly), a road that links Penang Road and Carnavon Street, in the heart of George Town.
Some of the Restaurants and cafe along Kimberly Street:
- Chok Kee Cafe (8am-4pm) - shop serving Porridge or Cantonese Chok
- Bee Hooi Coffee Garden (5pm-11pm) - stalls selling Yee Foo Mee, Lor Mee, Hokkien Prawn Mee, Char Koay Teow, Fried Rice, and more.
- Sin Guat Keong - stalls selling Char Koay Teow, Hokkien Mee, Chee Cheong Fun, etc
- Tua Pui Curry Mee (23, Lebuh Kimberly) - shop selling Curry Mee
- Roadside stall selling Duck Koay Teow Thng - Lorong Ngah Aboo (opposite Old House Restaurant)
- Kimberly Street Cafe - sells Koay Chap (from late afternoon/evening) - Roadside stall and coffeeshop
- Kedai Kopi Seng Thor (corner shop facing Carnavon street - Oysters
- Other Roadside hawker stalls (evening) - economy bihun, Nonya Kueh, Koay Teow Thng, Chinese dessert